Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic Treatment, not a Tourism Gimmick
Are planning to visit India? And are you planning to come to India for body detox? Then you are at the right place. Stay alert and read this article before opting panchakarma procedure at any tourist place. I am trying to brief on what is panchakarma? Pre requisition procedures before panchakarma, how long it is conducted, can anybody opt for this? What are the contraindications?
The word ‘pancha’ means 5 and ‘karma’ means actions. Five types of body purification and healing technique are incorporated in panchakarma. It is not necessary that in an individual all the five procedures should be conducted. It is performed on the basis of one’s body constitution, disease, according to seasons. Of course, a healthy person can go for panchakarma but on the basis of its body constitution, doshas the procedure, and medication are selected.
The five panchakarma procedures are:
- Vaman (therapeutic vomiting)
- Virechan (therapeutic purgation)
- Basti (therapeutic enema)
- Nasya (instilling medication through a nasal orifice)
- Rakta mokshana (bloodletting procedures)
Now the whole panchakarma procedure is again divided into 3 parts: 1) pre-steps taken before starting panchakarma (purva roopa) 2) main panchakarma 3) after treatment procedures (sansarjana krama).
- Pre measures:
They are oleation and fomentation. Panchakarma is a treatment of cleansing the body by removing wastes after lubricating it. Oleation (snehana) means the use of oil internally as well as externally. Hence, it lubricates the cells and tissues. This allows to loosen up the stuck toxins in the cells. Now the procedure which produces sweat in the body is called fomentation (swedana). The toxins which adhered to the body gets melt and tries to move from their original place. So, this oleation and fomentation are major procedures and conducted before each main procedure like vaman, virechan, basti, nasya and rakthmokshan. And, comes under pre-measures.
- Main panchakarma treatment:
After pre-measures, the main treatment starts. Firstly, Vaman is the medicated emesis. It removes toxins from the upper part of the body. It is conducted in kapa predominant diseases and respiratory diseases. The best season to perform vaman is February- march.
Secondly, virechan means medicated purgation therapy in which pitta dosha is cleansed. It removes the toxins from the gastrointestinal tract and lower part of the body. May-June is the best time to perform virechan.
Thirdly, Basti is a medicated enema which helps in cleaning and balancing all the three doshas that are vaat, pitta and kapha. Also, best in chronic diseases of the gut. It works on the colon. The best time to conduct is august-September
Fourth is Nasya, which helps to remove the toxins above the shoulder. Diseases affecting the head, nose, ears, and eyes. It works well in migraine chronic headaches, sinusitis, chronic rhinitis, and so on.
The fifth procedure is Raktamokshana. It is an effective blood purification therapy which is done on a particular area or for the whole body. Even it neutralizes the accumulated pitta dosha. It is effective in gout, dermatitis, and other conditions.
Note: during the urgent need of performing panchakarma in a diseased it can be performed in any season according to the disease and condition.
- After procedure
It lasts for a week or more. An Ayurvedic diet with medicated herbs is given to boost the different systems of the body and bring the body back to normalcy. Thus, helps the body to regain its original routine.
Facts about panchakarma:
- The entire panchakarma procedure takes 64 to 66 days to get completed which is approximately 2 months. It varies from person to person.
- Drugs and procedures vary according to the disease of a person, seasons.
- Panchakarma procedure can have side effects if the procedure is not done properly. Hence it should be conducted by an Ayurvedic physician.
- Results of panchakarma are long-lasting
11 benefits of panchakarma:
- It helps to create and maintain the balance of 3 doshas. (vaata, pitta, kapha)
- Helps in boosting immunity and restoring metabolic power.
- Eliminates toxins, purifies the body and gives mental, physical as well as emotional well being
- Increases lifespan and slows down the aging process.
- Not only cures diseases but also prevents the reoccurrence of diseases.
- Gives energy and vitality.
- It reduces stress and soothes the body.
- Improves luster and gives glowing skin.
- Helps in implementing a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Opens the blocked channels of the body
- Helps in reducing weight.
Stay away from frauds:
At many spa centers, Fraudsters try to attract tourists in the name of herbal healing or panchakarma an ancient Indian natural detox. Panchakarma is a complete ayurvedic therapy. A complete branch is dedicated to it in Ayurveda. A master course is required for thorough knowledge. There are many quacks in India who try are trying to fool the foreigners in the name of panchakarma for monetary gain. swindler try to finish the whole panchakarma procedure in 21 days which is ideally impossible. And when the whole procedure is completed in a short period the actual goal of panchakarma is not achieved and an individual is not benefited. So always check for their degree and find an official panchakarma therapist. Try to understand the whole process before undergoing any procedure.
Each and every procedure has its own indications and contraindications. common contraindications are pregnancy, fever, recent injuries, and so on.
I really hope that you will be more vigilant before undergoing the panchakarma and select a suitable place for panchakarma.